We offer planning, architectural, structural and civil engineering design for new and modified health and education buildings. We work with Clients and Contractors to select the suitable layout and structural form using traditional and modern materials. We work closely with private-sector developers and their supply chain to achieve the best commercial design.
Our portfolio is expanding and we are resourced to provide architectural, civil and structural engineering design services for the following health and education building types:
- Traditional construction properties originally built for health and education use
- Traditional construction properties converted for health and education use
- Modern building structures built in masonry, steel, timber of concrete.
We are often engaged at the early stages of planning. We advise the client and the contractor on the advantages and disadvantages of different layouts and structural solutions:
- Steel frames with masonry infill walls
- Concrete frames
- Steel frames with composite slabs
- Steel frames with beam and block floors
- Timber frames (glulam and Cross Laminated Timber CLT)
We design taking into account the cost implications, the skillset of the contractor, the aesthetics and architectural details, the spans/loads/layout of the building. Our team uses the latest computer-aided-design CAD tools to design and detail the various options. We support our drawings with a set of specifications that ensure our designs are built safely, on time and within budget. We follow up with site visits as and when required to ensure effective communication with the contractor team during construction and to maintain a cooperative team spirit until completion. Our services for education and health projects include the following:
- An initial assessment to establish the client’s requirements followed by a bespoke service that depends on their needs.
- Measured survey to establish site conditions, existing services, relationship with adjacent building and access/boundaries.
- Review of layout options, movement, services, utilities, functional requirements depending on the intended use.
- Planning advice including existing and proposed floor plans and elevations to meet clients requirements.
- Structural survey and assessment of existing site, existing structure and any existing foundations.
- Review of available information and a desk study.
- Structure and foundation design.
- Impact of change of use and the addition of floors or loads.
- Extensions and structural alterations such as removal of walls, columns.
- Structural repairs and refurbishment.
Beta Design Consultants have carried out assessments and structural designs for many health and education buildings. Typical alterations include the removal of walls and the addition of new units.