DESIGN OF COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS
We offer cost-effective integrated design for new and modified commercial buildings. We work with the client and the contractor to select the suitable layout and structural form using traditional and modern materials. We work closely with private-sector developers and their supply chain to achieve the best commercial design.
Our portfolio is expanding and we are resourced to provide architectural, civil and structural engineering design services for the following development types:
- Portal frame warehouse-type buildings
- Office developments
- Shopping and retail centres
- Mixed use developments
We are often engaged at the early stages of planning. We advise the client and the contractor on the advantages and disadvantages of different layouts and structural solutions:
- Steel frames with masonry infill walls
- Concrete frames
- Steel frames with composite slabs
- Steel frames with beam and block floors
We design taking into account the cost implications, the skillset of the contractor, the aesthetics and architectural details, the spans/loads/layout of the building. Our team uses the latest computer-aided-design CAD tools to design and detail the various options. We support our drawings with a set of specifications that ensure our designs are built safely, on time and within budget. We follow up with site visits as and when required to ensure effective communication with the contractor team during construction and to maintain a cooperative team spirit until completion.
Our services for commercial clients include an initial assessment to establish the client's requirements followed by a bespoke service that depends on their needs. Our services usually covers the following:
- Measured survey to establish site conditions, existing services, relationship with adjacent building and access/boundaries.
- Review of layout options, movement, services, uitilites, functional requirements depending on the intended use.
- Planning advice including existing and propsed floor plans and elevations to meet clients requirements.
- Structural survey and assessment of existing site, existing structure and any existing foundations.
- Review of available information and a desk study.
- Structure and foundation design for mixed developments, retail units, warehouses and storage units.
- Impact of change of use for commercial developments including addition of mezzanine floors and / or addtional /extra loads on floors.
- Extensions of commercial units and structural alterations such as removal of walls, columns.
- Structural repairs and refurbishment.
Beta Structural Engineers have carried out assessments and structural designs for many industrial and commercial units. Typical alterations include the removal of walls and the addition of new units oradding gantry cranes.
Beta Structural Engineers have worked with many clients in Londonto create open plan arrangement in their premises especially restaurants and retail units.
Beta Structural Engineers carried out an assessment for the brickwork condition in this historical vicotrian building which was converted from an industrial to a mixed office-residential development.
Beta Structural Engineers have worked with many London-basedclients to add mezzanice floors or additional loading to their existing units.
Structural modifications to council-owned commercial building, Sezlers Restaurant, Isleworth
Repair design of NHS Surgery, Ealing